Stacey Surveys Ltd


Domestic Energy Assessor DEA in the Rhondda

Phone:  01443 442840  for more information

Rhondda Domestic Energy Assessor

Phil Stacey our surveyor has worked in the industry since 2007, and therefore is a very experienced surveyor


Energy Performance Certificates must be produced by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA)

An EPC is required every time a home is put up for sale or for rent.

  • A landlord will need one to show potential tenants,

  • A seller must have one to show to potential buyers.

There are a few exceptions. You don’t need one for a room that’s being rented out by a resident landlord and listed buildings may also be exempt.


The requirement for an EPC has been the law since 2008, meaning that if your home has been let or sold since then it should have one. They remain valid for 10 years.

You should never be charged for an EPC when you’re looking to buy or rent, it should be handed over free of charge — otherwise the seller or landlord could be fined £200.


If you are a landlord or seller, you’ll need to at least get this certificate ordered before you put the property on the market (you may be able to use the EPC given to you when you bought the property if it’s still valid).

If you own a commercial property that you want to sell or lease, you will also need to get an EPC.


If you are interested in the energy performance of your home, and do not match the eligibility criteria mentioned above, there is nothing stopping you from getting an EPC commissioned for your home for personal use – but you will have to pay for it.

A landlord must use all reasonable efforts to ensure that an energy performance certificate is obtained within 7 days of marketing. If it was simply not possible to obtain the EPC within 7 days then, a further 21 days is allowed but this further 21 days is only allowed if all reasonable efforts were made to obtain the EPC in the first 7 days.

Rent Smart Wales

A landlord must register with rent smart Wales, therefore this could be an individual person, a group of people or even a company (depending on how the property is owned).  If the property being registered is in joint ownership, one lead owner must register it on behalf of all other owners.  If a property is owned by a company, the company registers as the landlord.


A landlord registration costs £33.50 if completed on-line.  This is the cost for each landlord type registering.  The cost for registration does not increase if more than one rental property is part of the registration.


If someone requests a paper application form to complete instead of doing the registration on-line it costs £80.50.